The Griswold Middle School Parent Teacher Organization (PTO) is a non-profit organization that exists for charitable, educational and scientific purposes, including the making of distributions to organizations that qualify as exempt organizations under section 501(c)3 of the Internal Revenue Code and incorporated in the State of Connecticut.
The purpose of the PTO is to enhance and support the educational experience at Griswold Middle School, to develop a closer connection between school and home by encouraging parental involvement, and to improve the environment at Griswold Middle School through volunteer and financial support.
Who can join the PTO?
Parents/Guardians of a GMS Student, GMS Staff, and Griswold Community Members are welcome to join. There are no membership dues.
When does the PTO meet?
We meet once per month on the second Wednesday of each month. Meeting times are 2:30-3:30 p.m. Parents can attend in person or virtually.
What does the PTO do at GMS?
The PTO works to support the students and teachers/staff of GMS. The PTO works with various stakeholders to identify ways we can help both with volunteers and financially. There are several fundraisers held throughout the course of the year that impact the projects we facilitate and fund.
Some recent examples of ways the PTO supports GMS:
- has paid for the purchase and installation of touchless water fountains at Griswold Middle School
- facilitates monthly school activity/fun nights
- contributed $1,000 to each grade 5-8 for field trip assistance in 2022
- has started to raise money for new equipment for the Griswold Middle School playground, and painted new four-square courts before the 2022-23 school year
- supports school events and programs with volunteers or funding when possible
- has funded science enrichment materials
- welcomed Brown University for Cultural Enrichment in the 8th grade Spanish classes
- facilitates Staff Appreciation events
- helps fund the 5th grade pizza party
- And much more!
How can I support the GMS PTO?
If you cannot join the PTO and donate your time, financial donations are always welcome.
Checks made payable to "GMS PTO" can be mailed to the Middle School at 211 Slater Avenue, Griswold, CT 06351, or sent in with a student to give to the school secretaries. Donations are 100% Tax-deductible. Please check with your employer to see if they will match your donation! You can also donate on Venmo: email@example.com.
Box Tops for Education: Use the Box Tops app to scan your store receipts for participating products. Select Griswold Middle School and GMS will automatically earn cash with every Box Tops product you buy. Learn more at boxtops4education.com/s/get-the-app.
Who are the PTO Officers?
The 2023-2024 GMS PTO Officers are:
- Angela McVeigh- Co chair
- Lindsay Gladue- Co chair
- Greta Silva- Treasurer
- Becky Wyzycki- Secretary
Contact the PTO at GMSPTO@griswoldpublicschools.org
Or visit us on Facebook at facebook.com/griswoldmiddleschoolpto
PTO meeting notes, news, and upcoming fundraisers are published to the GMS Now blog.