Curriculum and Instruction
The Griswold Public Schools is committed to providing a quality educational experience for all students. Through a rigorous curriculum, on-going assessment practices, and varied student services, we continually promote a comprehensive approach to meeting the needs of all learners.
Creating and monitoring quality curriculum is an ongoing challenge due to the range of grade levels a curriculum covers, the quality of the available instructional materials, and the challenging expectations of student learning. Ongoing curriculum communications strengthen coherence across and among school levels. A well-designed curriculum can assist teachers in designing powerful learning experiences, providing seamless course/grade progressions, and improving student performance. Teachers take an active part in curriculum development. Standards and concept-based curriculum, performance assessments and high quality instruction are at the heart of what keeps the Griswold Public Schools thriving.
In July, 2010, the State of Connecticut adopted a set of national standards in English/Language Arts and Mathematics to promote college and career readiness among all Connecticut students. Those standards, commonly known and the Common Core of State Standards (CCSS) must be implemented in all Connecticut schools by the 2014-2015 school year. Multiple documents regarding the CCSS can be found at http://www.sde.ct.gov/sde/cwp/view.asp?a=2618&q=32....
Since the adoption of the CCSS, the Griswold Public Schools
- Reviewed our K-12 English/Language Arts program to insure its compliance with the CCSS
- Implemented a CCSS-compliant reading program called Reading Street in grades K-6.
- Implemented a CCSS-compliant reading program called PhLit (an extension of Reading Street) in grades 7-9, with a planned continuation for Grade 10 in the 2014-15 school year.
- Reviewed our Pre-K-12 math program to insure compliance with the CCSS.
- Implemented a CCSS-compliant math program for grades K-5 called EnVision
- Utilize a CCSS-compliant math program from Holt math in grades 6 – 8.
- Participated in a state-wide grade 8 and 9 algebra pilot based on the CCSS. Griswold Middle School was the only Connecticut middle school that participated in the pilot. It is also the first time that Griswold Middle School students study a high school level course while still in middle school. The algebra course has now become part of the middle school math curriculum.
- Implemented Reading Universal Screening/benchmarks three times a year for all students in grades K-8; uses results to provide strategic skill instruction to students in need
- Incorporated Blue Ribbon Complete in the Middle School, which offers pilot items and benchmarks for Common Core Reading and Math
- Redesigned our Geometry program to align with the algebra pilot.
- Align and adjust coursework with CCSS at High School
- Statistics and Probability course approval and textbook adoption
- New Geometry text adopted for 2013-2014
- Social Studies Program revised
- New Modern World History text adopted
Early Childhood Opportunities
The Griswold Public Schools pride themselves on providing quality educational experiences. We feel that enriched early childhood environments not only provide extraordinary opportunities for young children but also form the foundation for a successful education career. Our district provides a free universal preschool program for all four year old children, located in the wing of the Griswold Elementary School. This program offers up to four half days per week to children in order to be able to introduce new skills and foster excitement for learning. We are also able to incorporate a Readiness program to students as needed and available. The curriculum is NAEYC accredited and is both academic and developmental with activities to support gross and fine motor skills, self-help, socialization, communication and cognitive skills.
Griswold Elementary School, Grades K-4
Our comprehensive curriculum is aligned with the Common Core State Standards. In addition to providing a solid curriculum in the core academic areas of:
- Social Studies
We also offer the following:
- Physical Education
- Technology Instruction
- Library Media Services
- Other Support Services
Griswold Middle School, Grades 5 – 8
At Griswold Middle School, we also offer a variety of additional courses including:
- Jazz Band
- Strings Program
Griswold High School, Grades 9 – 12