School Safety

Our School Safety team is dedicated to the security and safety of the all staff, students and visitors:

School Safety: Dave Crandall

School Resource / Security Officer: James Collins

The School Security Officer’s role includes but is not limited to the following three functions: They first are keepers of the peace, as one would expect of law enforcement officers. They also serve to ensure a safe learning environment for the students, teachers, and administration. Second, they are counselors who provide guidance to students and act as links to support services inside and outside the school setting. Third, SRO's are teachers who provide schools with an additional resource in and outside the classroom, such as peer mediation and conflict resolution.


Griswold Public Schools Emergency Response Codes (Code Red, Code Yellow, Code Green)


School Climate

Visit our School Climate webpage for the District's position on school safety and bullying. There, you can also find incident report forms for each school and contact information within each building.


Campus Parking Information


While visiting our campus, please assure the safety of our students, staff, and visitors by parking in the parking lots provided on this campus. 

Please do NOT park in:

  • Fire Lanes
  • In front of Fire Hydrants
  • On sidewalk and patio areas
  • In the crosswalk

Violators will receive a written warning which will be kept on file in case legal action needs to be taken.

Griswold Public Schools Students and Staff need to apply for annual parking permits. See below for more information.

Student Parking Application

Students will be required to complete this Parking Application Form (print and return to GHS office) if they wish to drive to school instead of taking the bus. 

  • This registration is required so that the school knows who is parked on their property. In case of an emergency, the administration can contact the owner of the vehicle.
  • Students are responsible for their parking permits. All lost or stolen permits must be replaced at the students’ expense. A fee of five dollars ($5.00) will be charged.
  • Permits are not transferable without administrative approval. Students that give their permits to other students will lose their driving/parking privileges.
  • Any changes in vehicle or license number must be reported to the main office immediately.
  • Temporary parking permits may be issued to students with 24-hour advance notice and administrative approval.
  • All parking permits are the property of Griswold Public Schools.
  • No person other than the registered driver who has submitted the proper paperwork and has an approved parking permit may operate a vehicle on school grounds.
  • The permit must be displayed properly (attached to the rear-view mirror with the front of the tag showing through the windshield) at all times on school grounds.
  • Students are required to drive safely and to follow all posted traffic signs and traffic rules while driving on this campus to avoid accidents, injuries, and costly repair expenses.
  • Parking on school grounds is a privilege which can be revoked at any time if a student is found driving in an unsafe manner.
  • The campus patrol officer is responsible to both monitor and direct the traffic on this campus. Failure to obey or cooperate with the campus office will result in disciplinary actions.
  • Permits are only valid for one school year and must be renewed at the start of the next school year.

Faculty and Staff Parking

All faculty and staff of Griswold Public Schools will need to register any vehicle that they will be parking on school grounds. This registration will be used to identify the owner of the vehicle in the case of an emergency. A parking permit will make it easier to distinguish faculty/staff vehicles from students who may be illegally parked in faculty parking lots. Please register all the vehicles that you might park on this campus. Once a permit is issued it can be used for any of the vehicles that you list.

A faculty parking list will be updated and sent to each of the school's secretaries so that they can reach you if needed.

Motor Vehicle Accident on GPS Campus

If you are involved in a motor vehicle accident on school grounds, you must call the Griswold High School office at 860-376-7640.

The campus patrol officer will make out a accident report form which a copy will be given to each vehicle owner involved in the accident.

The state police will NOT do accident reports on private property unless it results in serious injuries.

Vehicle Assistance on GPS Campus

You can contact any of the school's main offices or the campus patrol cell phone if:

  • you should lock your keys in your vehicle
  • you find that you have a flat tire
  • you left your lights on and now you have a dead battery
  • you find the that your door lock is frozen after a freezing rain.